TMD TreatmentRockville, MD
Treating temporomandibular disorders (TMD) can be very difficult and will require Dr. Chetan Parikh to utilize modern diagnostic techniques, consultation with other doctors, and his high level of skill and years of experience. There is currently no method for obtaining a completely accurate image of the TMJ, even with X-rays, CAT scans, and MRIs. Your road to healing may require several treatment types before reaching a definite solution.
As your talented dentist, Dr. Chetan Parikh, and his team begin to treat your TMJ disorder, you can aid in the success of your treatment by following these guidelines:
- Sleep on your back or side, not your stomach
- Focus on keeping your teeth apart, especially during stressful times
- Avoid fats, sugars, and caffeine, as the chemicals and acids produced when digesting these products can aggravate your condition
- Let your mouth rest by not chewing gum, biting your lips or cheeks, clenching your teeth, or chewing peanuts, ice cubes, or any other item that is repeatedly milled between your back teeth
- Do not lift anything that weighs more than 10 lbs., and do not do any strenuous work –avoid heavy shoulders bags and briefcases as your neck and upper back can affect your jaw area
- Do not open your mouth wider than half an inch (approximately the thickness of your thumb) for a few weeks – cut your food into small pieces, and catch your jaw with your hand when you yawn
- Use heat for muscle problems and ice for joint problems for temporary pain relief – if the pain is directly in front of your ear, it is most likely a joint problem, whereas pain in the cheek area is probably muscular. Rotate with 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off of the heat or ice.
By following these simple guidelines, you can significantly decrease your pain and discomfort without drugs or appliances.
At Chetan Parikh, DMD, MDS, DABCDSM, we offer oral appliances that can relieve TMD pain and correct the relationship between the cartilage disc and the jawbones. Our dentist may recommend the Gelb, a mandibular splint, to treat TMD. We may refer you to your physician to rule out any other physical problems. Drugs are not always used in TMD treatment; when drugs are used, it is generally for a short period of time. Dr. Chetan Parikh may recommend adjusting how you sleep, sit, or work to treat your TMJ disorder. Final treatment may be as simple as wearing your oral appliance at night and modifying your daily activities. In rare cases, braces, dental crowns, dental bridges, shaping of the teeth, and other permanent procedures may be needed. Your caring dentist, Dr. Chetan Parikh, will recommend surgery only as a last resort for treating your TMJ disorder.
Effective treatment of TMJ disorders in Rockville, Maryland, requires teamwork among your physician, your dentist, and you, the patient. We invite you to contact us at our dental office today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Chetan Parikh and to begin your treatment process. We are eager to improve your health!
Wondering how often a general dentist places a dental crown? The fact that dental crowns are one of the more common types of dental restorations that patients undergo to improve their oral health makes dental crown placement a very popular option for repairing teeth. Ready to learn more?It is essential for anyone who is in…
Endodontic procedures include every treatment involving the inner tissues of the teeth, otherwise known as the pulp or nerve. The word “endodontic” is derived from two stems: “endo,” meaning inside, and “odont,” meaning tooth. Every dentist receives training on the diagnosis of endodontic procedures, but some teeth can be particularly complicated to diagnose and treat.…
If an implant dentist has suggested replacing a lost tooth or teeth with dental implants, it might help learn about the cosmetic benefits of that choice. Dental implants are a durable and reliable solution for missing teeth and the benefits are remarkable. By replacing lost teeth, patients can get their smiles back as well as…
Learning more about orthodontics is a great idea when you are experiencing any kind of dental problem. One of the more common problems dental patients experience is not having a proper bite, which means their teeth or jaws are not in proper alignment. Bite problems need to be treated in a timely manner, otherwise they…
A smile makeover consists of different dental care treatments performed cumulatively as part of a specific plan. While it may help to improve dental health overall, often the primary purpose is to enhance smile appearance. The treatments involved may not always be necessary to optimize tooth function.Nevertheless, there can be value in a smile makeover.…