A variety of issues may contribute to temporomandibular disorders (TMD), including injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint (TMJ), or muscles of the head and neck. In addition, TMD may be caused by one of the following:
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
- Dislocation of the soft cartilage disc between the ball and socket in the TMJ
- Trauma to the head and jaw
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
- Stress, which can lead to teeth clenching and tightened muscles
Your dentist, Dr. Chetan Parikh, may be able to identify the specific cause of your TMJ disorder upon close examination and consultation. We encourage you to contact Chetan Parikh, DMD, MDS today if you suffer from pain and discomfort caused by the TMJ in Rockville, Maryland.