Dental cleanings (oral prophylaxis) differ from your at-home dental routine of brushing and flossing. During your professional teeth cleaning in Rockville, Maryland, our dentist or hygienist will:
- Remove plaque to prevent gum inflammation and periodontal disease
- Remove calculus (tartar) formed from plaque to prevent gingivitis
- Polish the teeth to remove stains and plaque
It is important that your teeth are regularly cleaned. Effective removal of plaque and calculus can only be done in a dentist office with the use of ultrasonic tools and specialized instruments.
Dental exams are performed at your regularly scheduled check-up appointments. Dr. Chetan Parikh takes a holistic approach to dentistry, which means that he will carefully consider and examine the impact of your oral health on the rest of your body. Our dentist will also customize your regular check-ups and evaluations based on your individual needs. Depending on your needs, he may recommend returning to our office once every three, four, or six months, because he understands that one size doesn’t fit all.
During your regular check-up appointment, Dr. Chetan Parikh will provide:
- Examination of diagnostic digital X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. Digital X-rays also help determine the positions of the teeth and their roots.
- Oral cancer screening: The dentist will use the ViziLite® oral cancer screener to detect any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Examination of the gums and bone near the teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: Examination of all tooth surfaces for decay with specialized instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Examination of current fillings, crowns, bridges, etc.
- Oral examination for manifestations of medical conditions such as lupus, HIV/AIDS, OSA, phemphigus, etc.
Schedule a dental appointment at Chetan Parikh, DMD, MDS, DABDSM soon so you can receive a thorough dental exam and maintain your oral health!